What is Dermal Filler?
Dermal fillers are a variety of soft tissue fillers injected into the skin to help with many beauty and skincare concerns, such as filling in facial wrinkles, adding volume and augmenting certain facial features for a smoother, more youthful appearance.
Injectable dermal fillers can plump thin lips, enhance shallow contours, soften facial creases, remove wrinkles and improve the appearance of scars.
Most temporary fillers include the following materials: Hyaluronic acid (a sugar that is naturally found in the body), Calcium hydroxylapatite (a mineral and a major component of bone) and Poly-L-lactic acid (a biodegradable, synthetic material).
What areas on the face can be treated with filler injections?
In order to get any sort of derma filler, your injector must determine if you are the right candidate. Depending on your beauty goals and facial anatomy, these areas on the face may be treated with filler:
- Marionette Lines/Nasolabial Folds
- Forehead lines
- Crow’s feet
- Lines around the mouth
- Laugh lines
- Acne scars
Are fillers temporary?
Most fillers are temporary because they are eventually absorbed by the body. The amount of time they last depends on the area that has been treated and the rate at which your body metabolizes.
Do the injections hurt?
Your expert injector will use numbing at the site of Filler insertion so you will not feel any pain. The fillers themselves have Lidocaine in them that once you inject start to numb the area as well. You may feel some pushing and tugging, but minimal pain overall. You injector will also offer a topical anesthetic (numbing cream) prior to your injections to make you as comfortable as possible, if needed!
What type of dermal filler is best for me?
At ReNu Med Lounge in Studio City, we offer the entire Juvéderm® and Restylane® lines. Whether you’re looking to volumize your lips, plump your cheeks, fill in forehead lines or even reshape the chin or nose, we have the perfect dermal filler for you.
What are the do’s and dont’s of fillers?
Follow these general rules before and after your injection.
• Don’t take over the counter pain killers before the procedure (Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Ibuprofen)
• Don’t drink alcohol for 48-72 hours before and after the procedure
• Don’t tweeze/wax/bleach hair on the treatment area for at least two days
• Don’t use a straw or kiss (after lip filler)
• Don’t use topical products for at least two days before the procedure. Treatments to avoid include Retinol, Retin-A, Retinoids and glycolic acid
• Don’t take supplements for one week prior. Your provider can give you a list to avoid, which might include St. John’s Wort, Vitamin E, Ginseng, Gingko Biloba, Primrose oil, Fish Oil, and Garlic
• Don’t exercise for a few days after you get the injections to avoid the increase in blood flow that might nudge your filler out of place
• Don’t touch, rub or massage the treated area to avoid moving the fillers for at least 24 hours
• Don’t wear makeup for at least 24 hours after the procedure
• Don’t expose yourself to direct sunlight for 24-48 hours
• Avoid laser, chemical peels, IPL or skin tightening treatments of the area for at least 2-3 weeks before and after, especially treatments that create heat in the dermis
• Avoid vigorous scrubs, exfoliation or facial treatment in the area of treatment for 72 hours
• Stay hydrated
• You can take Tylenol preemptively if needed
• Apply an Arnica ointment or take Arnica capsules to minimize bruising
• Ask your injector about icing the treatment area
• If you are prone to cold sores, take your medication as prescribed in the 48 hours prior to your treatment
• Follow aftercare instructions provided by your injector after your treatment
How soon will I see results?
Unlike neuromodulator injections, results of fillers are instant. You’ll likely experience some swelling (especially on the lips) after the injection, but the filler will settle within 2 weeks.
Are there any side effects?
As with any medical procedure, you may experience side effects. Most side effects occur shortly after injection and fade on their own within a few weeks. Common risks include:
Let your injector know of any allergies before receiving dermal fillers made with certain materials, especially materials derived from animals, such as collagen.
The most serious risk associated with dermal fillers is accidental injection into a blood vessel. Filler that enters a blood vessel can cause skin necrosis (death of tissue), stroke, or blindness. While the chances of this happening are low, if it does happen, the resulting complications can be serious and may be permanent.
If you want to have fillers removed or reduced because of side effects, you may need additional procedures to reduce the filler or surgery to remove it.
Fillers at ReNu Med Lounge in Studio City, CA
At ReNu Med Lounge we specialize in helping you look and feel your best by addressing your cosmetic and wellness concerns and enhancing your natural beauty.
Call us today at 818-308-7274 to learn more about fillers or book a consultation with our expert team to see if the filler injections are right for you.